Kitchen Remodeling Tips
Redesigning your kitchen is one of the biggest improvements many residential homeowners consider. Kitchen remodeling not only gives your home a great new look and feel, but can considerably increase the value of your house. Designing and installing a new kitchen involves a number of decisions to be made and we have put together a list of tips to help simplify the process.
- Budget - First off, consider how much you are willing to spend on a new kitchen. Include the costs of flooring, walls, countertops, paint, cabinets, appliances, and even potential furniture. Home Depot and Lowes are great stores to visit for some ideas on costs.
- Sketch it out - Create a simple sketch of how you want the new kitchen to look. Start with the windows an work your way around the perimeter. Consider where you would like the stove, dishwasher, refrigerator, oven, built-in microwave, lazy susan, garbage drawer, and then begin to sketch out the upper and lower cabinets. Also think about what types of cabinets you would like and what makes sense.
- Appliances - Visit some brand name appliance sites or visit your local home improvement store to start getting ideas for appliances based on the size of your family, needs, space, and efficiency.
- Countertops - Coordinate the color of your countertops with the paint colors, appliances, and cabinet colors. A professional countertop installer or remodeler can help you choose the best type of countertop and layout.
- Cabinets - Oak, White, Cherry, Pine? So many choices.. first choose the type of material you would like and then decide on a color that would match with the rest of the kitchen. Many cabinet sets can be viewed in showrooms to give you a great idea of what they would look like in your home.
- Paint - Most people choose cabinets, countertops, and appliances before a paint color because the paint color choices are endless. Choose a lighter color so the kitchen doesn't seem so dark. Cool new colors for kitchens are yellow (happy), green (hunger), white, beige, and so on.
- The Right Contractor - Get quotes from at least 3 different contractors and be sure to ask for references. Kitchen remodeling is a big job and experienced contractors should be fully licensed and insured.